Monday, April 8, 2013

Now what about Students and their creations?

So I've begun to research some very important things. Things such as when my students and I make a YouTube video titled "We'll practice, Maybe?" will I infringe any copyrights? Will they get the credit?

I still have not heard from my law office at school, but started to peruse the internet for some examples and articles of what others have done. Finding some precedents as one might say.

As a little side note: I did come across this article in regards to what Pandora is petitioning for in compensating the artists it plays. They are asking that the government allow them to pay less than Sirius or other internet radio stations so that they can be more innovative. Read the article and tell me what you think in the poll on the side!

I did find the following happening to a social media site in Russia. They are being sued because of illegally using an artist's music. It makes me think, should I have run to the Oriole Game Sunday and begged audience with Ms. Jepsen to ask permission to make my video? Do I need to give her royalties for the music? (The link also does go into other suits occurring over intellectual property in the business world).

Check out this link and tell me what you think in the poll to the side. MANY people have been making videos like these, but I wonder if they are having to pay money or royalties or infringing on copyrights.

The following videos are samples of what this school was doing... but I did not find the school from the article's actual video. Why do you think that these videos are uploaded and OK to YouTube but that school's video is not available? (I, of course, will be emailing them and asking to get the answer!)

Gangnam Style Remix 1


Gangnam Style Remix 2

Test Me Maybe Remix 1

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Trumpler-

    I have recently been blogging about teacher's lesson plans and who owns them; the teacher or the school. My most recent post titled "Lesson Plans as Intellectual Property" has links to a site that details the legality of teacher's work. I think you'd find it interesting.

    The post can be found here: http://thetroublewithonlinelessonplans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete